Friday, February 17, 2012

Celiac disease and other autoimmune diseases

Celiac disease and other autoimmune diseases .

After a lot of years of misdiagnosed and non diagnosed in 2011  I was "officially'' diagnosed with  :


Hashimoto's thyroid disease

Celiac Disease



The first "sign " that I had celiac appear when I was 17. I developed a rash that I now know was Dermatitis Herpetiformis (DH for short) . DH is commonly referred to as celiac rash. If you have DH you have celiac.

I have some anger, most has dissipated But I still have some ;) , that I went undiagnosed for so many years.
The first time that I had DH was when I was 17 and I was not diagnosed until I was 54, PLEASE!!!!! I am soooooooooooooo NOT impressed with the medical community. That  medical community treated/mistreated and misdiagnosed me for  AT LEAST  35 years.
With each passing year undiagnosed more and more damage occurred to my body. Most of the damage will heal as my gut heals but some of the damage will be permanent .I have reduced renal function and liver damage that will probably be permanent . Because I am now gluten free I should be able , with care, to avoid further damage.
It took a GI doc that was trained outside of the US to recognize and diagnose me.

   






As I have a lot of emotions about my diagnosed and celiac , this post will probably be an ongoing project . 
If you have any questions  please feel free to ask 





6 comments:

  1. I researched Hashimoto's and I know what celiac's is. You've got a tough diet to follow. How are you adapting? Been cooking with quinoa? Do you have any specialty non-gluten stores where you are? If you need help finding any brands, I'd love to be of assistance. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am adapting :) , some days are better than other . Unfortunately quinoa is something that my tummy does not care for.no matter how well I rinse it quinoa still upsets my tummy.
      I currently live in a very rural area . The closest store that carries gluten free product is about a 1 hour drive .so 1 hours up , 1 or 2 hours shopping ,and 1 hour back takes a good part of the day. My daughter ( who is also gluten free) and I make the trip 2 to 3 times a month to stock up.

      Delete
  2. you know what's cool? Kim Cattral has Hashimoto's too... (sex in the city). Apparently it's reserved for the sexiest of the celebrities. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister-in-law is celiac. She takes her own food everywhere she goes. She is coping most of the time. Pleased to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also take my own food most everywhere I go.
      It is nice to meet you too :)

      Delete